Pages

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Soldier's Guardian Pocket Angel Pattern

I am part of the Letter Writing Team (LTW) with Soldier's Angels. Since beginning this journey I've wanted to include something meaningful in the letters but needed to come up with something that was also small and easy to include in the envelopes. After some brainstorming I came up with the following; a compilation of the idea behind a prayer shawl and the idea behind the popular guardian angel pins.

I found an angel pattern online (I can't remember where now or I'd link back to it) and after some modifications I came up with this crochet pattern for a small 'guardian angel' -- one that can be easily tucked away in a pocket, hat, or boot, etc. As I make each angel, I pray for the soldier that will be receiving that particular one. As you can see below, I attach it to a "Thank You" card.

Here is the card with the angel attached:


Here is the pattern:
Soldier's Guardian Angel





Materials:
Small amount crochet cotton (any small size)
Appropriate size hook for cotton - I use a size E crochet hook

Head:
Ch 4, join with sl st in 1st ch to form ring, ch 1, 8 sc in ring, join with sl st in 1st sc

1st wing:
Ch 2, hdc, ch 2, 2 hdc, sl st all in the same st, sl st in the next st

Dress:
Ch 4, 3 tr crochet, ch 4, sl st all in the same st, sl st in the next st

2nd wing:
Ch 2, hdc, ch 2, 2 hdc, sl st all in the same st , fasten off

Weave in ends.